The Mind Wipe and Imprint Phenomenon  

Posted in , ,

It's the break of dawn and I know I have to get some shut-eye. Partying? Hardly. I'm nose-deep in work - which I am happy to do because I eventually get paid - but I have to let this out first. I'm calling this my "blog break".

I am so heartbroken! I've been watching a dead-show-walking; it's called Dollhouse. I have to say, it's got quite a morally gray tone to it - but being the sick, twisted brain that I am, I don't mind at all. In fact, I love the show. I am sad to hear that FOX had cancelled it. They're just going through the rest of season 2 then they're pulling the plug on Dollhouse. It's like Firefly all over again.

Incidentally, Dollhouse, as is Firefly, is another Joss Whedon creation. It's about an illegal underground operation that involves erasing the thoughts and personalities of human beings, turning them into "dolls", and replacing their thoughts with programmed personalities. In other words, they make people into dolls, and they make dolls do whatever they want them to do. Yes, "morally gray" just doesn't do it justice.

Now I'm not here to write up a sassy review. If you were under a rock for the past 2 years or so, and you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, Google it. But please, allow me to explore the idea. Wouldn't it be something if you were allowed to wipe yourself off, give yourself a clean slate, and then be programmed, or "imprinted", with a different personality? Human trafficking becomes human programming.

Chaos. Now that's a thought worth keeping.

Imagine yourself being a doctor today without having to study for 10 years. Be a doctor for a day, then a pole-dancing stripper the next. You can be anybody. But ironically, you're nobody too. You could be a highly trained assassin, or an innocent school teacher. Asking a kid "What do you want to be when you grow up?" will lose its meaning. Education would be worthless. Morality would be virtually non-existent. Psychology, as a science, would simply cease to exist.

The last time I felt like this was the moment right after I saw The Matrix for the first time; lots of ooh's and aah's. It's a totally mind-blowing mental orgasm. As the all-powerful Yuri says, the mind is indeed a terrible thing to waste. Who knows what secrets can be unlocked in the deepest recesses of your brain. Who do you want to be?

I can almost see the evil wheels turning in your heads.

Promotional poster for Dollhouse
(image from Imp Awards)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
CheckOutMyInk.com Banner #2

The Author

Pedestrians

Feed The Writer

Formspring Me

Tweet Me

NetworkedBlogs

Followers

Manila

Recent Comments

Stop Plagiarism

Creative Commons License
Stories from the Simian Crease by Binchee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License.
Based on a work at binchee.blogspot.com